Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sucker for Sleep

Oh, how cute, right? Oh, he looks like an angel...*sigh*



This kid, I swear. I could boast for so long about how his sleep habits are so great. He doesn't nap, but he goes to bed without a fight. We have a routine of pj's, book, music, and then "night-night."

But we've totally hit a wall. The Bear has been in hysterics this week, which is totally not the week to give me hard time. I've been so full of , I don't know if it's anxiety or what, but it's BS either way. So my sleep has been completely backwards. I've been functioning on maybe a couple of hours of sleep a night and Mama is gonna lose her friggin mind at any moment. Whew.

The Bear has his moments like any kid at night where he wakes up and might need a pat on the back to lie back down again. I have no problem with this. But we've had 3 nights of pure battle. He wakes up at random hours like he's being beaten by his little stuffed animals. As I'm trying to soothe him or ask him what is wrong between is warbled gasps for air, he just gives me mixed signals.


Scratches the back of his neck..."Oh, is your tag on your shirt bothering you?"


"Garrrhhhh"


Wipes his forehead..."Are you too hot?"


"Bahhhhh"


Scratches his legs..."Do you have itchies (mosquito bites)?"


"Arghhhh"


*Sniffle, sniffle*..."Do you need a hug?"


"Waaahhhhhh"


This goes on forever, or at least 5-20 minutes. It's all a fog since I'm half awake. He might stop crying, sniffle, stand up, hug me, and then...try to fall asleep on my arm.? Oh, hell no. I'm not going to stand by your crib and let you sleep on me. I do not possess this same talent, so no way will I stay up as your pillow.

And yes, my son still sleeps in a crib. We haven't had any problems and we figured we'd wait for the appropriate clues to get a big boy bed. Which brings me to the second night of hell...The Bear has trouble communicating in his fits of anger, so during one of said fits while I was asking what the eff is going on with you (but in a mommy-like coo) he started beating up the bars of the crib. He was hitting them and yelling at them like a bear (lol). So now I'm wondering if he's just done with the crib and might be knocking into the bars.

By about the third time he wakes up, I'm so exhausted from my continuous lack of sleep. I just take him to the guest bedroom and we both completely knock out, until he wakes up and asks for pancakes. He tried to take me into the bedroom last night for "night-night" but I put my foot down that he needed to sleep in his crib. I don't have a rail for the guest bed and I really don't want to go to bed at 9pm to make sure he doesn't fall off the side.

I'm such a sucker for the toddler bed. They're so adorable and so perfect for a transition to a big boy bed. I'm sure they're really just a transition for moms. I've been wanting to get him a toddler bed, but maybe he's just really needing the space. Maybe he'd be better off with a twin bed. Ugh. His language barrier is really not helping right now. So in the meantime, I'm sleeping in the spare bedroom and trying to soothe him during his fits. If they get so out of control that I can't do anything else to help, I just let him cry it out. He's exhausted and he's lying in a perfectly good bed. Ta-dah! Just take it, kid. At least until your dad and I can make a well rested decision. Argh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment