Friday, July 24, 2009

Grandparental peril

Just got off the phone with my mom. It was so sad to hear the panic. I think she and my step dad have really allowed the economic meltdown into their personal life. They both filed for retirement last year; she because her job got phased out and he was so eager to be done with the school system. So they've spent the last year getting by and struggling with a budget. It's not like they lived lavishly, but it's been difficult. He's now going back to work and she's still searching out a permanent job. I think my mom is the most stressed out since she does all the bills.

But she's called me and it seems like they've gotten to a wall of complete miscommunication. And now she says she has to prepare herself for the worst, insinuating my step dad might leave her because his behavior has changed and he made some separate bank account.

As much as I want to jump on board and defend her, I think she's been festering in paranoia for the last few months. You know how you get so stressed out, everything seems to be out to get you? Yup.

So I laid out the cliche advice of them needing to talk. Seriously, just talk. And don't half ass your talk, like really really talk. Don't leave any room for assumptions. Tell the brutal truth and embrace the tongue lashing. J-cakes and I lay it all out there and the relationship thrives. How could I possibly be a partner in a relationship if I don't speak. Of course there are times when we totally clam up and we go to bed angry, but we talk in the end. Your spouse should be your best friend.

So I feel bad for my mom. She thanked me for the advice, but c'mon...Is she really gonna do it? Who knows? Since when do older women take your advice on relationships? puhleeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment